Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Oooh, more food!

Might as well post another tasty little treat for you folks to try out! Today at work I made a Couscous Garden Salad, and let me tell you, it was DELICIOUS! This dish literally has it all, big flavor, lots of veggies, and the always awesome feta cheese. There really isn't a single thing about this dish not to love, and the best part about it is that it can be served chilled as a side dish, or warm as a main dish. It's really healthy and tastes great to boot. I know that I've already talked about how awesome it is that I get to go to work and cook every day, and I'm going to say it again...It's awesome! For those of you who are wondering what I do for a job, I work at a group home. We revamped our menu last fall to try and incorporate a much more balanced and nutritious diet for the consumers that we work with, and so far the outcome has been amazing.

 A "healthy diet" isn't just about calorie restrictions and small portions, it's about nutrition. The problem with nutrition is that a lot of people have a hard time understanding what a nutritious diet should consist of. Most people think dinner and automatically envision lots of meat and potatoes, anything bloody and starchy...especially here in northern Minnesota. Probably in the Midwest in general if we're being honest. And while there's not a thing wrong with your steak and potatoes every now and again, you'd be doing your body so much more of a favor if you ventured out into the unknown and incorporated lots of lean proteins and veggies. And no, I do not mean veggies from a can. (personal feeling, of course)Yuck. So go ahead, try something different for a change. Trust me, a balanced vegetarian meal once or twice a week won't kill you, in fact it'll probably help you out in the long run. And something like this tasty number is a sure fire way to ease into the whole "meatless" meal preparation. It's quick, simple and absolutely delicious. I promise. So check it out under my recipe section on the blog! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment