Thursday, November 10, 2011

Cold Weather Food

So I was at Open Mic Night at Beaner's last night enjoying some really fantastic music and I stepped outside for a bit and happened to look up. I was moderately unimpressed with what I saw...SNOW. Ugh. I may be a Minnesota girl to my very core, but I never like having to see the first signs of winter. Two words...cold and uncomfortable. I tried all the usual tricks, like closing my eyes, pretending it wasn't happening, maybe it was ash (you know, from an invisible volcano) but it was still there every time I looked back up. Needless to say, it didn't stick but it threw me into serious winter cooking gear. And what warms you up when its super cold outside? A hot bowl of lentil chili, obviously!
I scavenged our cabinets and fridge and came up with a bag of lentils, stewed tomatoes, an onion and a corn and bean mixture that i had made a few days ago for burritos. And the cooking extravaganza commenced. :) The lentils added a totally different flavor to the chili, almost a rich nutty flavor (as weird as that might sound) and gave it a really wholesome harvest blend flavor. Made it perfect for a late fall/early winter warming meal. One of the best things about one pot meals are that you can literally just throw everything in the pot and do a little stirring and walk away. Having meals that are pretty hassle free are a life-saver in an apartment that has no kitchen space and counter room for cooking. We have to use our dining room table to prep food on and sometimes the more I have to do, the more frustrated I tend to get with such a minimal amount of space to work in. Meals like this are a lifesaver, because with two huge dogs that try to help me cook and a roommate who likes to pop in and snack on whatever I'm making, space is at a premium in the kitchen. But at least I know I always have other people to help me out with the excessive amounts of food that tends to get made. :) So make it, eat it and enjoy it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment