Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Steff tries her hand at baking...

And it was a SUCCESS! Chocolate pumpkin cupcake glory success to be exact. Good enough to make grown men weep. They were that damn good. Okay, well maybe no one cried over them, but they were super fantastically tasty, no denying it. And it was all thanks to the million year old can of pumpkin that we've had sitting in the pantry at work since November. I'm not sure if everyone was just waiting for someone else to do something with it, but truth of the matter is, no one wanted to make a pie so it was just going to keep on sitting there. So being the clever little workhorse that I am, I decided to rectify that situation and make a treat for everyone. Best part about this little slice of heaven is that it's super super easy. I can't bake worth beans on a good day, and even I didn't manage to ball it up. Devil's Food cake mix? Check. Whipped cream cheese frosting? Check. Ancient can of pumpkin? CHECK! The outcome was nothing short of bliss, and I say this as a non-chocolate lover. The pumpkin really mellows out the flavor of the chocolate and adds a certain "harvesty" flavor to the the profile that makes for a most excellent little dessert.


The frosting was a bit more difficult for me to sell myself on initially. I have a strong dislike for store-bought frosting, but I'm also inherently lazy and had no desire to whip up cream cheese and butter and what not to make it myself. So I bought the whipped cream cheese frosting, dumped a whole bunch of cocoa powder in it (the bitterness of the chocolate really helped tone down that sickly sweet taste of the frosting), some cinnamon and nutmeg and Voila! A frosting that didn't make my teeth want to rot out on the spot, which is always a bonus. So go ahead and try these, and if anyone weeps over the goodness of them by all means, photograph the event and mock them until the end of days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment